Saturday, January 21, 2012

Haiku Saturday

Well, here it is, the day of the South Carolina primary. It is amazing to me that in such a short time, Newt Gringrich has surged to the point he may actually beat Romney despite all his morality-challenged past actions.

And it's not all because Rick Perry dropped out; it seems as if people down there just seem more excited about Newt than about Mitt. As columnist Paul Mulshine says in the linked article, "An excess of emotion trumps a lack of emotion every time in the Deep South. That might explain why Romney’s in so much trouble in a race he was expected to win in a walk."

It probably isn't helping Mitt much that Stephen Colbert is down there campaigning with former candidate Herman Cain, further confusing the voters, some of whom may not even realize he's a satirist.

And of course, in the meantime, Romney is still reeling from finding out he apparently didn't win the Iowa caucuses after all; Santorum apparently beat him by 34 votes.

It will be very interesting to see what happens today. Since I have no real news to talk about until after the vote, I thought it would be a good time for some haiku. And the first one I am going to post is by Jeremy over at Chew the Fat - and I'll send you over to his place to read it. Hint: It's about Newt and it is very good!

Now here are mine...

First snow of winter
Drapes cotton over the cars
And makes my feet slip.

The dogs aren't walking
We drove to get the paper
We are pathetic.

This is the Northeast
Snow is a normal event
But we were so spoiled.

One snowstorm in Fall
Nothing but good weather since
What do you expect?

It's warmer down South
Where things are getting hotter
Newt may beat Romney.

Running neck and neck
Santorum and Paul behind
But they're still trying.

After tomorrow
The race may get more narrow
We will wait and see.

That's all I've got today! Tomorrow is another day and will provide plenty of entertainment, I'm sure. In the meantime I'll post this highly amusing and very pertinent song by the Austin Lounge Lizards, "Gingrich the Newt." The ironic thing is, this song is from Newt's FIRST era in politics and is still true today. I love the reference to orphanages; apparently Newt said back in the 90s that kids would do better in orphanages than in the welfare system. Now he thinks poor kids should be janitors. Really, the more he changes the more he remains the same! (If I've posted it before, apologies for repetition, but it is definitely worth repeating. There isn't really any video to this but do listen to the words!)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

This made me laugh. Nice to have something to entertain
myself on a snowed in Saturday.

Tom Harper said...

Romney's lack of emotion just might sink him. People react emotionally to Gingrich, whether it's love, hate, nausea or whatever. You can't feel joy or anger toward an automaton or a mannequin, and Romney makes a mannequin look animated.

okjimm said...

Morally deprave Republicans..... I am waiting to hear that they found Newt in bed with Mitt's wife &&&&&& Mitt!!!!

KGMom said...

I don't know whether to laugh maniacally, or cringe.
What is it with the Republicans? Honestly--Newt?
My husband says if Newt wins the nomination, Geico will have to take all the gecko commercials off the air--you know, can't have two amphibians dominating television simultaneously.

Mauigirl said...

LOL, KGMom! Good one!
OKjimm, you never know!
Tom, that is his biggest problem.
Vicky, happy to give you a laugh!

JJ said...

Thanks for sharing my Newt haiku venting.

Going Like Sixty said...

Don't know Colbert is a satirist... was that satire? I sure hope so, otherwise the Republicans need to rethink their voting bloc.

MRMacrum said...

Liked your first two Haiku's quite a bit.

As to the news on Newt - I just do not care anymore. Newt gets way more attention than he deserves.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

confusing the voters

It doesn't take much:)

susan said...

In the beginning there is ignorance.
Ignorance engenders fear.
Fear engenders hatred.
Hatred engenders violence.

That's all I have to say about the Republican candidates for 2012.

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

I enjoyed your haiku. Here's one of my political haiku:

Newt's quite the actor.
Did Gingrich teach history,
or histrionics?

Fran said...

love that tune!
callista and newt give me the heebie jeebies.

mittens is now asking newt to reveal his lobbyist
$$$, and explain his $300,000 ethics violation.

this is the year of the drag-on.

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Thanks for dropping by and for your kind words about my political verse. Thanks also for linking to me from your blogroll. I've linked back to you from my Political Madness Blog. :)

Anonymous said...

"...A fitting salute to that horse's patoot..."

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!

Oh, oh, I REEEALLY should have peed before listening to this!!!