Saturday, July 12, 2008

Diva's Turn


Hi! Mommy said I could blog today instead of Baxter The Cat. It's only fair if I get to talk sometimes, after all. (He would say I get to talk a lot more around the house than he does but I don't care. Mommy says that's because I'm a "diva" whatever that means. I know I'm a Diva, that's my name. I don't understand what she means by that.)

I heard some really good news about my distant relatives - the pitbulls that were used for dogfighting by that awful man, Michael Vick. Apparently they are making great progress since they were rescued last year and that mean man had to pay a million dollars to take care of them.

This article Mommy found says that:

"Of the 49 pit bulls animal behavior experts evaluated in the fall, only one was deemed too vicious to warrant saving and was euthanized. (Another was euthanized because it was sick and in pain.)

More than a year after being confiscated from Vick's property, Leo, a tan, muscular pit bull, dons a colorful clown collar and visits cancer patients as a certified therapy dog in California. Hector, who bears deep scars on his chest and legs, recently was adopted and is about to start training for national flying disc competitions in Minnesota. Teddles takes orders from a 2-year-old. Gracie is a couch potato in Richmond who lives with cats and sleeps with four other dogs.

Of the 47 surviving dogs, 25 were placed directly in foster homes, and a handful have been or are being adopted. Twenty-two were deemed potentially aggressive toward other dogs and were sent to an animal sanctuary in Utah. Some, after intensive retraining, are expected to move on to foster care and eventual adoption."


I am not surprised by this because, as I may have told you, I came from a great rescue place, The Animal Farm Foundation, which rescues pitbulls like me and adopts them out after making sure we're friendly and have good temperaments. Of course I passed my tests with flying colors since I wag at everybody and would never ever bite anyone. You can take a bone right out of my mouth and I just hope that maybe I'll get it back but if I don't, that's OK too.

In other pitbull-related news, the Dutch government has lifted a ban on pitbulls that was in place for a really long time! They found out that banning us did not reduce the number of dog bites. Instead they're going to try to educate owners and enforce leash laws! Well, that certainly makes sense to me! Those Dutch people are always so sensible.

So that was all very good news and I wanted to let you know about it.

There are some other things going on this week that I can tell you about too. I heard that Dr. Michael DeBakey died. He was 99 years old and the reason everyone knows about him is he invented cardiac bypass surgery and a whole bunch of other methods of helping heart patients.

I like surgeons myself because I had both my knees operated on when I was still at the Animal Farm. They had to fix something in my knees called "ligaments." It hurt but I got over it and can run around really fast now so I'm really grateful to the doctor who fixed my knees.

I haven't been following politics much since Hillary left the race. I know Baxter and my Mommy and Daddy are supporting Barack Obama but I was for Hillary. So was my Mommy's mother. The Animal Farm is run by women and ever since they rescued me from Animal Control in New York City, I just love ALL women. It doesn't matter who they are, if they are a woman, I love them. I love most people anyway, but I really wag for women the most. So of course when I heard that a woman was running for president I wanted her to win!

Now that she didn't win I'm not paying much attention; I don't have the patience Baxter has to keep up with all that stuff. I hear some of Obama's fans are getting mad at him and even Baxter is a little worried because he's going back on some stuff that he said. I'm waiting to see if he'll pick a woman for Vice President. If he does I might get interested again. Otherwise I think I'll sit back and wait and see what happens later in the year. We dogs have better things to do in the summer than think about politics.

Right now I am having lots of fun playing in my pool. Mommy and Daddy found this wading pool by the curb right after they got me. Somebody was throwing it out! So Daddy brought it home, cleaned it, and we use it all summer for me to jump in and cool off. They throw my Ball and I jump in and get it. I hate when they spray me with water though. It's different getting sprayed with the hose compared to jumping in the water on purpose!

Of course my favorite thing is going swimming in the lake they take me to at Cape Cod. Last weekend I also got to go in a lake in the Adirondacks. Mommy and Daddy make sure to take me to places where I can swim because they know how much I like it.

Mommy wants me to tell you an update about the Wrens that were living in the bird house in the yard. The boy Wren has been singing a lot again and she thinks they may have a new nest nearby! This morning there was a lot of chattering and both of the Wrens were up in the pine tree. Mommy saw two of the neighbor's cats under the tree so she sent me out to chase them. They were on the other side of the fence but all I had to do is bark and they decided to move farther away. Then the Wrens could relax and start singing again.

That's about it from here. I'm really happy Mommy let me have a chance to talk to you again and tell you more about my distant relations that used to belong to Michael Vick. I am always happy to tell people about happy endings for fellow pitbulls. If you want to help pitbull rescue organizations, Mommy has a whole list of links down the side of her blog that you can choose from!

Have a wonderful weekend and maybe I'll get to blog again soon! Baxter will be back next week!

12 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Diva, it was good to read your post. My Smokey doesn't like Michael Vick either, and he's not even a pit bull. Smokey and I are really glad to read your news about the healing Vick's dogs are going through.

Christopher said...

I read about the remarkable rehabilitation of nearly all of , Michael Vick's dogs and it filled my heart with joy.

Rarely, do we hear much good news and as a life-long dog lover, such stories are of particular interest to me.

You really have to wonder what type of filth can abuse a dog? I suppose the same type that abuses children -- as dogs are very much like children, always sweet and loving and dependent on use for food, protection and love.

Diva, how do you keep your teeth so white? Our dog, Ginger, had her teeth cleaned just a year ago and they look dirty again. We never give her unhealthy food and we brush them but alas, at 11 years of age, our little girl is ready to see the vet dentist again.

Keep posting Diva. You're a beauty!

Mauigirl said...

Replies from Diva:

Ruth, thanks! I'm glad you and Smokey are on our side! Smokey is a very cute little dog. I think if we met we would play together.

Christopher, Mommy and Daddy also can't imagine how anyone could abuse someone like me either. Those people like Michael Vick must be missing something - maybe a conscience? - to be able to do those things.

As for my teeth, Mommy used to try to brush them but I liked the toothpaste so much all I'd do is lick at the brush and she couldn't get anything done. So she gave up. But I do eat nothing but dog food (dry mixed with wet), hard biscuits like Milk Bones, and I get a Greenie treat at least once a day (more if I bark a lot later on, especially if there is company!).

Sometimes our teeth are just good or bad from the beginning and there isn't much you can do. Baxter The Cat has very bad teeth even though he only eats dry cat food. He's had his teeth cleaned 3 times now and he's only 6; and they had to pull out a lot of his teeth already because they were loose! Luckily he can still eat his dry food; he doesn't like the soft wet kind.

Please say hi to Ginger for me!

Fran said...

Diva! What a great post and I love when I get to see your photo, you are just too cute.

Thank goodness that the dogs that were being hurt (it makes me want to cry still!) are being taken really good care of now. Every time a pit bull is saved and can be introduced for the lovely dogs that you are is a special day indeed.

Like prejudice against people for their race, color, creed, orientation or whatever, it is cruel and unjust to reject a breed as well.

I am so glad that you live with your family and that you get to blog away and show the goodness that is not only Diva, but that is pit bulls.

I am really sad that Dr. DeBakey died, but he lived a good long life and saved the lives of many others.

And sadly that other man Tony Snow who did not save so many lives is getting a lot more attention.

Humans are crazy.

denverdoc said...

Your pet pictures crack me up. Did you ever get the e-mail contrasting the diary of a cat with that of a dog?

The dog's diary was simple, as simple as the joy-filled day of a mutt. Entries such as '8 a.m., oh boy, time to get up,' '10 a.m., yahoo, time to go for a walk,' 11 a.m., great day, time for a nap,' filled the journal.

The cat's diary read something like: 'April 13th, my 433rd day of captivity. Attempts to cause the human to fall down the stairs by weaving through his legs again failed.'

I like that both your pets are involved in politics and current events.

KGMom said...

My, my--Diva. You are a very well informed dog. And I love the rakish angle of your ears--you look very happy. Lucky for you (and your family) that you found each other.

Anonymous said...

Diva, you're a beautiful girl and I'm glad to hear you were rescued and your knees were fixed so you can run and frolick in that lake in the Adirondacks. I'll have to show your picture to my pal Chester. I'm sure he'll wag his tail in approval.

Suzi Riot said...

Diva, I loved reading your post! I shared what you had to say with Nine, Kuma, Barley, and Otis and they told me to tell you that you are one smart pup - and quite beautiful as well! Nine and Kuma also were supporting Hillary, since they think the girls should stick together. Barley and Otis don't really care about politics, but were really excited to hear your update on their rescued relatives. We all hope that your mom will let you post again soon!

D.K. Raed said...

Nice to hear from a dog, Diva! Those cats tend to worry too much. Always plotting to take over the world.

I know about the animal place in Kanab UT, it's less than 100-miles from where I live. They do very good work. My aussie shep is familiar with your knee op's. Within the first year of us adopting him, he needed surgical repair of both his CCL's. He is now our magic $6,000 dog! Maybe due to his mature age or the fact that he had completely ruptured his CCL's (aussie's are frisbee maniacs), he has permanent steel plates pinned into both knees so is no longer capable of flat-out running, but can trot with joy!

I also have a Lab that understands your standing water issue completely. She is very brave in still water, no matter how deep, but turn on a sprinkler & she can't get out of there fast enough. I think it's related to control. You can control getting into the pool of water.

ps, about your harness ... to me it looks like it's on sideways. Our dog's harnesses have the strap that you have on your right side, going right down the middle of their chests between their front legs. that way the metal loop for the leash is sitting directly on top of their backs. maybe yours is a different kind of harness, but I thought I'd mention it, in case you need to talk to your humans about adjusting it.

Mauigirl said...

Fran, thank you so much for your supportive note about me and my relatives. I wish everyone thought the way you do about us pitbulls.

Yes, Mommy thinks they could've made more of a fuss over DeBakey and less over Snow, but she says if it brings people's attention to getting tested for colon cancer to talk about Tony Snow, then maybe it will have a good outcome.

Femaildoc, so glad you liked my picture! And yes, Mommy has seen that dog and cat diary e-mail - it is very funny and very true, I'm sure. Not that I really ever understand what is going on in Baxter The Cat's head, but it sounds right to me!

KGMom, thanks, we are very glad we found each other too! And everyone always comments on my ears - one ear up and one ear down!

Spartacus, thanks for your good wishes and please give Chester a wag and a sniff from me!

Suzi, thanks, I am blushing at being called beautiful. Of course, as a Diva, I do expect it, but I am still always very pleased to hear it! Please give my regards and some wags and sniffs to Barley, Otis, Nine and Kuma!

D.K. Raed, that's right, I forgot you'd be nearby the rescue place where they brought those dogs. I'm glad your Aussie-Shep is doing well after his knee operations! Mommy and Daddy remember the operation you are talking about with the metal plates. The dog that lived here before me (they tell me her name was Alice) had to have that operation on one of her knees ("only" $3000 instead of $6000!) because her ACL wore out and tore. She was able to walk right away on it whereas for my operations they did it differently and I wore a cast on each leg for a couple of weeks. Alice was a lot older than I was when I had my operation so maybe that's why they chose to do the TPLO type on her. That's what it's called but I forget what the letters stand for. It's wonderful they can fix these things or we dogs would be very unhappy not being able to run and play - or even walk properly.

My harness is on correctly - even the vet never can figure out how to put it on when I'm visiting there.

It's called a Gentle Leader Easy Walk harness and it's the only one my Mommy likes to use because it keeps me from pulling her along. I am a very determined dog and if I want to go somewhere you can't stop me if I'm wearing a regular harness! This harness pulls to the side if I try to pull, which annoys me so I stop pulling. Mommy recommends it to everyone if they have a dog that pulls. She says it's a lot easier than trying to train me out of this habit!

D.K. Raed said...

aaah so, Diva, I should've known your mommy wouldn't make a harness mistake. I never heard of Gentle Leaders, but it makes perfect sense for the strong pullers. I am a BIG believer in harnesses vs collars, esp choke collars.

We were more or less forced to go the TPLO route due to our dog's size & complete rupture. Plus there was some concern that his shepherd rear legs (which are more bent than normal dogs) precluded a cheaper ligament rebuild/repair. He was in a cast for about a week, then had to be confined to a small pen for a few more weeks, then had to slowly build back up his leg strength through numerous short walks. Pooping became a major event until he was able to support himself again (either I or my hub had to reach under & support his bad leg & you know where our hands ended up). Six months after the first op, his other CCL completely ruptured, so we did it all over again! He's kind of like a rebuilt car engine now, good for xx more years/miles!

Distributorcap said...

diva

i cannot tellyou how much i love pitbulls -- they are so loving and so gentle when treated that way

you look great and have great parents!