Saturday, March 08, 2008

Onward

Yesterday we bid a fond farewell to Maui and flew to Kauai. After a leisurely drive from the airport, including stops along the way, we arrived at the Waimea Plantation Cottages in Waimea. I love this place - it is fabulous.

Our cottage is one of about 50 antique cottages left from the plantation era, scattered in an orderly yet natural way around beautiful gardens and open spaces. The property is on a black sand beach that stretches a long distance in either direction, perfect for walking, with a pool overlooking the ocean.

The cottage itself is beautifully restored, with lovely wood floors (could they be koa wood? I'm not good at wood identification) and island-appropriate rattan furniture that is of high quality. There is a spacious bedroom, a huge bathroom with both a tub and a large shower, a kitchen-dining area and a good-sized living room that opens onto a lanai with wicker furniture, plus a private patio where you can sit and watch the sunset.

I'll write more about our new location in my next post, and include pictures. In the meantime I'd like to share more pictures from our time on Maui to keep your mind off the Wyoming caucuses!

Below is a picture of windsurfers on Ho'okipa Beach on the eastern side of Maui:

The following pictures are views from a drive we took around the northwest side of Maui:





Below is a Hawaii dog. Hawaii dogs ride around in the back of their masters' pickup trucks and enjoy the view. These dogs are the result of various breeds mixing for as long as anyone can remember and they look like a combination Pointer-Lab-Collie-Shepherd-Terrier. This one is waiting for his master to come out of a little store on the outskirts of the town of Kula in the "upcountry" of Maui, on the side of the Haleakala volcano. (UPDATE: Or could these "Hawaii dogs" actually be Australian Cattle Dogs?)

Below is a view taken in the same vicinity:


Hope you enjoyed the tour of Maui. I'll put up pictures of Kauai as soon as we take some!!

15 comments:

Comrade Kevin said...

So peaceful. So opposite of what is going on over here.

Anonymous said...

I've only been to Maui once, back in '92. It's been way too long.

Larry said...

Looks like those "dreams of an everyday housewife"are still coming true, In Maui and beyond!

LET'S TALK said...

I loved the video on Waimea Plantation Cottages and yes you have some great photos that I loved as well.

I wish I could be there. I do not think I've seen those types of scenes since the early.

Be safe and enjoy yourself.

Christopher said...

BREATHTAKING!

I so adore Hawaii. Great job with the pictures, girl!

Mauigirl said...

Kevin, it is peaceful - I think I wouldn't need my blood pressure medication anymore if I lived here!

Doug, I think it's time you returned!

Larry, LOL, I do more "housewifey" things here than at home...I actually have time to cook!

LT, glad you liked the video! I hope to put up some pictures of the actual cottage we're in soon.

Christopher, I can't take credit for the pictures - my husband took them all. But I posted them so I guess I get some credit! Glad you're enjoying them!

TomCat said...

Maui, the pica are amazing. Thanks!

Fran said...

Kauai is one of my favorite places on all the earth. I love it. I have stayed there 3 times - once not so far from the airport in a little local motel-ish place, then twice in Hanalei.

I adore it. Can't wait to hear about your time.

The photos of Maui are gorgeous.

Anyway, in the meantime maybe you can do this in some free time?

Mauigirl said...

Tomcat, so glad you enjoyed them!

Fran, we were last year 20 years ago and now I am regretting not having come back sooner. I am hooked on Kauai - it is much more like "old Hawaii" -- no strip malls, very few condo complexes (none of them down this end of the island). This end of the island has several small towns that are all still the original architecture - kind of western looking - and I love them.

We drove up to Hanalei and back yesterday - it's lovely there too. We still have some more exploring to do but will start filling you in on what we've done so far, tomorrow!

On behalf of Baxter, I thank you for the meme. I don't know if he'll be able to participate until next week, however, as the computer is turned off at home! I don't think he has a middle name! But we can think of one for him!

Mauigirl said...

Um, that was supposed to be "we were last here" not "year."

Liz Hinds said...

Okay, you can come home now. You've made us all jealous!

FriĆ°vin said...

I've never heard of Hawaii dogs before but they look sweet!

Fran said...

The difference between where you are and the North Shore and the west side of Kauai are huge. That said, most of the island is "old Hawaii" and that is what called to my heart so deeply.

If you can go up to Kee Beach and watch the sunset. Perhaps you have done this before, but even so, it is extraordinary.

Mauigirl said...

Fran, I'll have to check out Kee Beach! Thanks for the tip!

That's one of the things I love about all the Hawaiian Islands - that each side of the island is totally different.

kuanyin333 said...

You made Maui proud with these lovely photos!