After walking Diva in the park we went grocery shopping. DH took Diva around the block a few times while I did the shopping. And here is where my Very Bad Day really got under way.
I was going along minding my own business in the paper products aisle, and realized that we had toilet paper on the list. So I looked around and saw that the type we use, Scott's Extra Soft (in the handy 6-pack), was on the top shelf. I am very short. In fact, I barely make 5 feet. So anything on the top shelf is always a big challenge for me. So I decided I'd carefully pull the pack that I could reach, out from under the top one that I couldn't reach, and hope the top one just slid down to take its place. I've done this before, really I have. And it's worked.
However, it didn't work this time. The upper pack catapulted off the top shelf and landed on my face. Yes, my face. Not my head, not my shoulder, but my face. And I was wearing a pair of these:
...which you can imagine are not really very sturdy. "Sh#t," I said, more loudly than I'd intended, as I felt the instant decomposition of my glasses take place and saw the earpiece tumble to the floor. A woman walking up the aisle kindly handed me the earpiece and I sheepishly said, "This is NOT my day!"
I put the earpiece in my purse, tried to balance the rimless glasses on my nose with only one earpiece, and finished my shopping. I figured we could just glue it back for now, enough to last until the eye doctor appointment I happened to already have on July 9th.
But that was not to be either. DH informed me that the glue we had would not work on the earpiece and lens. He refused to try. So I said boldly, "I'm sure I can do it!" and grabbed the glue. I opened the glue improperly, managed to drip some on my perfectly good capri pants, and also found out that he was right, it wouldn't stick. In the meantime the glue on my pants was soaking through to my leg...and I discovered it was eating into my leg like acid and burning!
I pulled off the offending piece of fabric, realized my pants were ruined, and stomped off in a huff to order more capri pants off the Internets. I am very spontaneous in this way. Later DH told me acetone could probably get the glue off, but by then two pair of capris were already on their way to me. (Because of course if I wreck one pair of pants, I deserve to get two new pair!)
So today, I just came back from my emergency eye doctor appointment, having put in an order for $750 worth of brand new Silhouettes brand rimless eyeglasses - in purple titanium. Really cool. I needed a new prescription anyway so at least if I was going to wreck my glasses the timing was right.
Now...on to the meme!
Kuanyin of Who's Yo Mama has tagged me for this meme, in which I answer a list of questions, then tag 5 other people to do the same.
The Instructions: Remove the blog from the top, move all blogs up one, and then add yourself to the bottom. So here goes:
Life With Heathens, What Floats My Boat, Homespun Honolulu, Who's Yo Mama?, and Mauigirl's Meanderings.
What were you doing 10 years ago (5 Things)
1. Helping to start a neighborhood association
2. Worrying about my dad's upcoming open heart surgery
3. Traveling to San Francisco during Fleet Week (in October)
4. Spending time with my half sister
5. Working for a different boss (two bosses ago, same company)
What were you doing 1 year ago (5 Things)
1. Helping my mom move into her apartment
2. Traveling to Canada to be in a friend's wedding
3. Enjoying our first year with Diva
4. Trying to save a historic house
5. Starting my blog
Five Snacks You Enjoy:
2. Oreos and milk
3. Ice Cream
5. Potato Chips
Five Songs That You Know The Lyrics To:
1. Anything by Simon and Garfunkel
2. James Taylor's Fire & Rain
3. Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Lights
4. Most of the Clancy Brothers' hits
5. The Weavers' Good Night Irene
Five Things You Would Do If You Were A Millionaire (I'm changing this one - to Billionnaire - a million is nothing nowadays!):
1. Save old historic houses and fix them up for adaptive reuse
2. Pay for my friends' kids' college tuitions
3. Buy an apartment or house in all my favorite places: Hawaii, London, Paris, Amsteredam, San Francisco and Lisbon and travel around the world, staying for long periods in each place.
4. Get a massage every day (Kuanyin, I'm leaving your answer here right as it is! I agree!)
5. Give money to environmental and animal welfare groups
Five Bad Habits:
1. I'm a slob
2. I don't exercise
3. I chew my cuticles
4. I procrastinate (on work and other things too)
5. I get caught up in things and get very enthusiastic but don't follow through
Five Things You Like To Do:
3. Post on my blogs
4. Spend time with friends
5. Play with my dog
Five Things You Would Never Wear Again:
1. Shoes that hurt my feet - my goal is eventually to only wear flip flops!
2. Clothes that aren't my colors - any time I buy something on sale that is in a color that doesn't look good on me I end up never wearing it. So I have to stop buying these things.
3. Pantihose (except on very rare occasions)
5. Shorts - in public anyway
6. A bikini
Five Favorite Toys:
1. My new Samsung phone that opens in both directions and has a QWERTY keyboard
2. Our digital camera
3. My new wireless laptop (thank you, Big Corporation)
4. Anything my dog finds enjoyable
5. Can't think of #5
Five Things You Hate To Do:
1. Actually get dressed and go to work (it's OK once I'm there)
2. Answer the phone if I don't know who it is
3. Go to the dentist (does anybody like to go to the dentist? I don't know anyone who does!)
4. Take the dog for a walk in the rain
5. Go outside at all in the winter unless it's the day after a huge snowstorm and everyone is off of work and there's that camaraderie you get among neighbors who are shoveling out. But I'd rather pay someone else to shovel it.
Now I'm passing this meme on to others.
Liz of Finding Life Hard
Elizabeth of Inside Betty's Head
Amanda at It's All About the Walls
I'm just doing 3. If anyone else wants to join in and do it, go for it! And anyone I tagged - it's just for fun, only if you want to! ;-)