Tuesday, August 25, 2009

We All Need a Dose of Nothingness Now and Then

H/T to Geoff of EcoRealty for posting this article on Facebook.

The author of the article reminds us that everyone needs a little "nothingness" now and then - a moment to just absorb what is around them without trying to put anything back. A time to empty the mind of anxieties and anger, remove thoughts of the future or the past and just enjoy the present for what it is.

I am hoping President Obama and his family are doing a little of that right now and he will come back refreshed and ready to take on the difficult problems of the world. But right now he should just enjoy the nothingness.

I'll end with the quote from Franz Kafka that the author of this article cites. I had never read it before (I didn't even know Kafka wrote poetry, shows how ignorant I am), and I loved it. It is called "Learn to be Quiet."

You do not need to leave your room.
Remain sitting at your table and listen.
Do not even listen, simply wait.
Do not even wait, be quite still and solitary.
The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice
It will roll in ecstasy at your feet.

7 comments:

Annette said...

I too hope he is resting well.. He really deserves it.. I believe he is resting though.. I think Michelle and the girls will be making sure of that.

I love the poem.. It's wonderful and good advice to us all. Thanks for sharing it.

How is your Aunt doing?

Mauigirl said...

Hi Annette, she's doing much better, thanks. There is a therapist that comes 3 days a week and helps her do exercises to gain back her strength between the operation and her recent fall. She's eating well and getting better, thankfully!

Randal Graves said...

Glad to hear that your aunt is doing better. And see, there's nothing wrong with a little nothing.

giggles said...

I agree!! My folks have a pillow with a little quote on it that I love....something like "How wonderful to do nothing and rest afterwards!"

I long for guilt-free doing nothingness.

PS I've never read Kafka, didn't know he wrote poetry either... but there are worse things of which to be ignorant, yes??!!

Dave Dubya said...

We all need nothing, just as we all need joy and fulfillment in doing what we love to do.

"Nothing" is the key to my contentment.

When there's nothing urgent and unpleasant to be done, when nothing needs to be said, when nothing is desired or needed; that is where I find peace and contentment.

"Nothing" can be found in simple chores such walking the dog, washing the car, casual gardening or housekeeping and yard work. One of my favorites is watching the sunset while sitting quietly on the back porch.

Letting go of worries, anxieties, unpleasant memories and concerns for the future really is possible. Not always and not often, maybe, but the occasions can be found.

When we find the here and now, we find ourselves. Compassion and love must begin inside, and for our self.

From there it's easier to find compassion and love for others.

The world is still full of beauty, and peace can still be attained within our own minds.

And it costs nothing.

Comrade Kevin said...

The problem is that some people can't leave it just to occasionally nothingness. Instead, they want frequently or constant nothing.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Thank you for this important reminder. And I love the Kafka quotation.